Monday, August 31, 2009

Poppyseed Chicken Casserole

At Susan's request, I'm adding my mom's poppyseed chicken casserole.  This is the first dish I ever cooked for my husband, Stuart.  And it's by far the most beat-up, torn, blurry recipe card I own... a favorite that has been made over and over!

As follows:

1 hen or 2 large fryers (this is the same as about 4-6 chicken breasts...cooked)
1 8 oz. container of sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 sleeve Ritz crackers (I confess, I often use one and a half)
1/2 stick margarine, melted (because I use more Ritz crackers, I use closer to a full stick marg)
2 T. poppyseeds (I sprinkle to my liking)

Cook, debone, and tear chicken into bite-sized pieces.  Mix with sour cream and soup and combine well.  Put in greased casserole.  Melt butter in a saute pan, then add crushed up Ritz crackers to the butter.  Spread cracker/butter mixture over top of chicken.  Sprinkle poppyseeds on top.  Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.  Serves 8-10.


No comments:

Post a Comment